07.12. Congratulations: Sampsa | Feedback
Vartiokylä church

Vartiokylä church

Vartiokylä parish

04.04.2017, 15:26
The Vartiokylä church, completed in 1958, was built in the middle of the Vartioharju single-family housing area. It is one of the oldest multipurpose churches in our country, with the kitchen, parish meeting hall, gym and club and meeting rooms under the same roof.

The Vartiokylä multipurpose church was an attraction when it was completed in 1958. People came to see it from afar. The church was designed by Pekka Laurila. The altar crucifix is by sculptor, Gunnar Uotila. The church textiles were designed by textile artist, Raija Rastas. The work, Suojaavan taivaan alla (Under the protective sky), was painted by artist, Jarmo Mäkilä. The 16-stop organ was made by the East German Gemlich.

During the renovation 1998-2000 the church was renewed based on the designs of architects, Karin Krokfors and Heli Virkamäki. The altar was detached from the wall and its furnishing was reduced. The font was moved to under the organ gallery. The fixed benches were replaced with movable chairs.

The Vartiokylä church is used by the Vartiokylä parish.

Celebrations at the church

Members of the church can organise a baptism, a wedding or a funeral free of charge in the church.

The church seats 220. The parish meeting hall seats 85 people.