The Puotila manor and its grounds were transferred to the ownership of Helsinki in 1933. The Helsinki parishes bought the dilapidated granary from the city in 1959. Architect, Tarja Salmio-Toiviainen, designed a chapel there, which was completed in 1963.
At the highest point of the Puotilantie side end of the Puotila chapel is a granite stone with the engraving “J. H. L. 1859”. The initials refer to the builder of the granary, Kappaneuvos (Finnish honoray title), Henrik Lindroos. The current main building of the adjacent Puotila manor dates back to the 18th century.
The four sturdy pillars of the lower hall divide the ceiling of the chapel into nine cross vaults. The original floor was uneven virgin rock, half a metre of which had to be excavated in connection with the renovation work. In addition to the church itself, there is a small vestry and a kitchen on the ground floor. The bronze altar crucifix on the window is made by Eino Räisänen. The coloured glass work, Pääsiäisaamun riemuntäyteinen tunnelma (Joyous atmosphere of Easter morning), by Tarja Salmio-Toiviainen, also dates from the chapel’s completion year, 1963. The tin font and communion set were made by silversmith, Academician, Bertel Gardberg, also in 1963. The ten-stop organ was made by the Kangasala organ builder in 1970.
During the renovation completed in 2010, the old potato cellar was turned into a meeting facility, called the Birgitta hall. A lift was also built in the chapel. The kitchen premises were expanded, and indoor access to all facilities was arranged.
The Puotila chapel is used by the Vartiokylä parish.
Celebrations at the chapel
Organising a baptism, a wedding or a funeral is free of charge at the church for members of the church.
The chapel seats 135 and there are 25 seats at the tables in the Birgitta hall. The kitchen and tableware are downstairs.